After watching the new Feng Zhu design Cinema today I felt like trying my own color painting without undo and layers. I am not very experienced with colors and lighting as you can see ^_^ and didn’t try this before. Will do more soon. Very meditative!
Took almost 2 hrs including a repainting the whole scene a few times. Hope you like it :)
I just found an old explosion on my hard drive.
It dates back to September 2012 which is why I can’t give exact info on sim and rendertimes. As far as I can tell from the files that are left it took 5 hrs to create the wavelet sim (i7 2600K, 32gig, fume 2.1). The original sim was done over night.
I didn’t do a fancy multiscatter rendering as it probably would’ve killed my workstation. This Vray rendering took 14hrs already.
The simulation is based on displaced spheres that shoot out a particle burst with offset to create this look of multiple explosions.
Hope you like it.
It’s been a while since my last post. This year’s first half is almost over already….at least I can look back on busy times. I will add some posts showing my recent projects and progress.
Let’s start with a Sci-Fi series directed by Jared Pelletier – Omega. I worked on a few shots for him. Only small fx and compositing tasks but it still was quite fun.
This shot pretty funny to create. I built a Nuke setup with randomized but still controllable muzzle flashes. Also, whenever a muzzle flash appears Nuke automatically opens the “shell ejection cover” of the gun, ejects a shell and creates smoke with particles and sprites. The blood is partially painted and partially footage plus two little simulations. One sim for a splash created in Naiad, the second sim is a blood trail done with Pflow and Krakatoa in 3ds Max.
Two additional shots:
Here I had to simulate bullet hits on the ground, muzzle flashes, tracers and shells and composite everything in Nuke. Again, I used my muzzle flash setup with automatic shell ejection and smoke sprite generation. Time was short so I had to find an efficient solution for the soldiers running through the dust. It would have taken too long to actually simulate all the smoke and dust in one go with collision geometry moving through the scene. In addition, I wanted to be flexible with the bullet hit placement and look. That’s why I decided to create a rough roto mask that moves through the Nuke 3D space and masks the smoke sprites. No interaction, but still okay in my opinion ^_^. With this solution I can always change the impact locations and the masking will still work.
Debris, smoke and dust was simulated with Pflow and FumeFX. Tracers, muzzle flashes, shells and smoke (gun) were achieved with Nuke particles and sprites.
Take a look at the series once it’s released!
My first two value studies based on movie stills. Not directly breathtaking and quite loose but I’ll post sketches and studies from now on to track my progress in painting :)
Practice, practice, practice…
#1 Star Wars
#2 Game of Thrones
More to come very soon.